I never feel like I have a great answer on how to organize anything, so this response on Quora by Phil Libin is really interesting to me.
The main points are that he:
- Changes it up pretty often.
- Has about forty-five total notebooks.
- Has one primary notebook that most things go into.
- Most of his other (at least thirty) notebooks are shared.
- Doesn’t use very many tags.
- Uses one notebook for each “major” conference he goes to.
I’ve also found most of my stuff going into one notebook (I call it “Filing Cabinet”). The most effective way for me to find anything is to search, so it would probably be useful for me to pare down some of the other notebooks I have and use a few strategic tags in their place.